Perfectly Imperfect Pillow

My daughter LOVES Fancy Nancy.  And I have to admit, I’m a bit in love with her to.  So when she caught sight of a bolt of pink Fancy Nancy fabric in the clearance bin, it didn’t take much to persuade me to buy it for her. We bought a yard to make a pillowcase.

We made it together one afternoon. Gianna squeezed on my shrinking lap and pushed the buttons on my machine to start and stop the sewing.  It was a “winging it” sort of project.  No pins, no measuring, no ironing, no seam finishing.  We just folded it up and sewed.

By any commercial standards, it was awful, but in my daughter’s three-year old eyes, it was perfection. It was a pillow case just for her, and she made it with mommy.

That is what makes “handmade” so special.  Not that it is done well (although that is a wonderful goal), but that it was done.

Contact me!

Comments

1. says

So sweet :) It’s those little things that make happy childhood memories and create a sense of self-worth that she’ll get to sleep on every night! What a lucky girl to have such a thoughtful, handy mom!

2. says

Sounds like your three year old is much like my three year old. Loves Fancy Nancy and sewing on my lap too!
    I’m hitting the fabric shop today, I’ll have to see if that fabric has made it across the border.

3. Barbara says

Pillowcases are my go-to project these days for the kids. We find something cheap that Henry (now Lucy, too!) thinks is special and make a pillowcase out of it. It gives them something to play with while I shop for fabric for my own projects, it’s easy, and they love it. :-)

4. Andrea says

So precious. :) Monica loves Fancy Nancy too. I have reallly vivid memories of doing projects with my dad. The finished product was really rough, but I loved it and loved the time with him even more. I still remember it 20+ years later!

5. says

Oh, that is so cute! I seriously can’t wait to start sewing with my tipsy toddler, but right now she’s too touchy-touchy with her little fingers to let her get too close to the sewing machine. Lovely pictures of your lovely little ones!

• says

Gianna spends a lot of her time hovering over at my elbows repeating “Don’t poke yourself, Mommy! Don’t poke yourself.” She’s a sensitive little girl.

I hope you get a chance to sew with your little girl soon. :) You have so much knowledge to share with her.

6. says

Oooh, we love Fancy Nancy, too. The pillowcase I made my little girl was from fabric picked out for her by her big brother, which is also very sweet. It is hot pink with electric guitars on it. She would go completely bonkers if we had Fancy Nancy fabric. Was it at a chain fabric store? I haven’t seen a lot of licensed characters and my local indi store (where I try to shop.)

Trackbacks