Perfectly Imperfect Pillow

My daughter LOVES Fancy Nancy.  And I have to admit, I’m a bit in love with her to.  So when she caught sight of a bolt of pink Fancy Nancy fabric in the clearance bin, it didn’t take much to persuade me to buy it for her. We bought a yard to make a pillowcase.

We made it together one afternoon. Gianna squeezed on my shrinking lap and pushed the buttons on my machine to start and stop the sewing.  It was a “winging it” sort of project.  No pins, no measuring, no ironing, no seam finishing.  We just folded it up and sewed.

By any commercial standards, it was awful, but in my daughter’s three-year old eyes, it was perfection. It was a pillow case just for her, and she made it with mommy.

That is what makes “handmade” so special.  Not that it is done well (although that is a wonderful goal), but that it was done.

14 Responses to Perfectly Imperfect Pillow

1. Karen @ TheJuneBride January 26, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

So sweet :) It’s those little things that make happy childhood memories and create a sense of self-worth that she’ll get to sleep on every night! What a lucky girl to have such a thoughtful, handy mom!

• Jodi January 27, 2011 at 9:52 am #

I love these little moments.

2. Michelle January 27, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Sounds like your three year old is much like my three year old. Loves Fancy Nancy and sewing on my lap too!
    I’m hitting the fabric shop today, I’ll have to see if that fabric has made it across the border.

• Jodi January 27, 2011 at 9:56 am #

You’ve got yourself a girly-girl too? :) Very fun.

3. Barbara January 27, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Pillowcases are my go-to project these days for the kids. We find something cheap that Henry (now Lucy, too!) thinks is special and make a pillowcase out of it. It gives them something to play with while I shop for fabric for my own projects, it’s easy, and they love it. :-)

• Jodi January 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

So fun. Does Lucy have a rubberducky pillow yet?

4. Andrea January 27, 2011 at 10:45 am #

So precious. :) Monica loves Fancy Nancy too. I have reallly vivid memories of doing projects with my dad. The finished product was really rough, but I loved it and loved the time with him even more. I still remember it 20+ years later!

• Jodi January 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

I cherish those memories too, and now we get to know how precious those times were for our parents as well.

5. Erika Sews January 28, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Oh, that is so cute! I seriously can’t wait to start sewing with my tipsy toddler, but right now she’s too touchy-touchy with her little fingers to let her get too close to the sewing machine. Lovely pictures of your lovely little ones!

• Jodi January 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Gianna spends a lot of her time hovering over at my elbows repeating “Don’t poke yourself, Mommy! Don’t poke yourself.” She’s a sensitive little girl.

I hope you get a chance to sew with your little girl soon. :) You have so much knowledge to share with her.

6. RookieMom Whitney February 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Oooh, we love Fancy Nancy, too. The pillowcase I made my little girl was from fabric picked out for her by her big brother, which is also very sweet. It is hot pink with electric guitars on it. She would go completely bonkers if we had Fancy Nancy fabric. Was it at a chain fabric store? I haven’t seen a lot of licensed characters and my local indi store (where I try to shop.)

• Jodi February 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

I got it at a Joann’s. What I wouldn’t give for a cute little indie shop in my tiny town. :)

7. Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy June 8, 2011 at 8:37 am #

This is so sweet. I have a Fancy Nancy lover in my house as well!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Makin’ it: A toddler pillow case - July 2, 2012

[…] reading a post about a Fancy Nancy pillow case on Sew Fearless, I went to the fabric store and bought Fancy Nancy-themed flannel and made one for […]