Three Little Suitcases

The project that has been dreamed of, planned for, hinted at, and slaved over is finally finished!

UPDATE! This pattern is now available!

Three little suitcases – sized just right for a trip to grandma’s house with pockets to spare for necessities.

They are light enough for a child to carry, but rigid enough hold shape will stacking or carrying.

The question is…
Would you like a pattern for it?

I have the paper pattern pieces and took tutorial photos while I sewed, but I am undecided if I should dive into the last step of turning it into a digital pattern. It is obviously not a “beginner” pattern, but perhaps some of you have been around the sewing block a couple of times and are interested in a project that will stretch your skill set? I promise to hold your hand along the way. :)

Let me know what you think. I’ll be waiting to hear from you.

, , , , , , , ,

66 Responses to Three Little Suitcases

1. Cathy October 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Oh yes, yes, yes. I sure want to make the suitcases. All three as we have 3 grandchildren. You did a great job of them. Love the inside. What detail.

2. Victoria Hudson Friedrich October 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Yes! Tutorial please!!! This would make a perfect Christmas gift for my boys since we’re going to Grandma’s in FL for Christmas this year!

3. Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy October 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Yes yes yes! (And please don’t worry about me too much. There are experienced seamstresses in the family to save me from going down in advanced stitchery flames.)

Those are darling. And the timing is good for Christmas gifts…

4. Karen Chockley Mitzel October 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

Yes, and sell it!!! Awesome, Jodi! They rock in a big way :) You’re amazing!

5. Jessica October 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

Oh. My. Goodness. Yes! Yes to the pattern and yes to holding my hand! I’ve never made anything like a suitcase before.

6. Hilda October 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

Um yes!!

7. Jen October 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

you should forsure do a pattern – they are cute!

8. Missy October 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

While I am a beginner, I do have an aunt who always helps me. This would be perfect for her and I to work on during Thanksgiving holidays. Because this would be a fun project for us to tackle together, I hope that you do offer us the pattern. :)

You did an amazing job on this project!

9. Denise Santana October 4, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

What a very cool project! I’m always looking for a sewing challenge with something that is good looking and practical and Gris totally fits the bill!! I would LOVE it if you had this pattern available. Very creative great job :)

10. Antoinette Red October 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Yes! I would love to try to make one of those for myself….um…I mean my two children. Fantastic job!

• Jodi October 5, 2011 at 5:57 am #

I think it would be a great bag for a mom’s weekend away. :)

• Antoinette Red October 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Yes, and for hiding your secret stash of chocolate that nobody is supposed to know about when you aren’t on your mom’s weekend! Shhh… 😉

11. Alyss October 5, 2011 at 12:08 am #

These are awesome!! I am among those that would love a pattern! Soooo many possibilities!

12. Consuelo October 5, 2011 at 4:12 am #

Sim, sim, sim, sim, por favor! Isto ‘e um sonho para fazer para meus 3 filhos sendo 2 meninase 1 menino. Elas são pefeitas!
    Aliás, amo seu blog e sempre o estou visitando. Parabéns!

13. Louise Griffith (@louanngg) October 5, 2011 at 5:58 am #

I’ve been around the sewing block more than a few times! Please share your how-to expertise!

14. Jodi October 5, 2011 at 6:00 am #

So I guess I’ll have to work on pulling that together! It will probably be a at least a couple weeks though. I have some sewing to catch up on first. :)

15. Michele October 5, 2011 at 7:05 am #

Great job Jodi, those are amazing. I would love to try making these.

16. Consuelo October 5, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Meus pequenos fariam sucesso aqui no Brasil. Aguardo anciosa que voce conpartilhe seu conhecimento conosco. Bjos

17. Dada October 5, 2011 at 8:22 am #

oui, oui, ce serai les cadeaux idéal pour les enfants pour toujours avoir leur jouet favoris et leur petit trésors , et , bien jolie couleurs, bravo j’aimerai bien essayer le tuto. merci beaucoup

18. Robyn G October 5, 2011 at 9:01 am #

I would be interested in a pattern for this. When I first saw it I immediately thought it could also be used a a travel pet bed. You could put a pillow in the bottom, and leashes and toys in the top compartments.

• Jodi October 5, 2011 at 11:03 am #

That is a fun take on it!

19. luvinthemommyhood October 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Oh….yes please! I would love this!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s so fabulous!!! Great job hun!

20. Emily October 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

Where’d you find the zippers?

• Jodi October 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm #

My local Joann’s. I decided to go with garment making zippers instead of utility zippers because they were readily available with good color seleciton. I used a set of two 22 inch zippers for each suitcase.

21. Suélen October 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

OMG, I love it!! I looking for a suitcase tutorial a long time and neve found =/
    I hope u can give us a tutorial.

22. Carla G October 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

What fabulous suitcases! I love all the bright colors you used! I’d like to make 2 for my kids! :)

23. Cindy October 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Yes, please.

24. Anabel October 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

I love these little suitcases! Please a tutorial!

25. VNitz, MyLittleCuddles October 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

yes please!!!

26. Consuelo October 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

tutorial…tan, tan, tan…tutorial… tan, tan, tan…tutorial, tan, tan, tan…!

27. jessyz October 9, 2011 at 3:15 am #

Yes yes yes, they are absolutely fantastic and adorable, not to mention practical too

28. Brittney October 20, 2011 at 11:13 am #

i must learn how to make one of these, my little boy Holden needs one for when he stays with grandma… so cute! good job!!

29. katie j November 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

Yes! Can’t wait for the pattern.

30. Alyssa November 8, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Ahhh! I need to make this! :)

31. sara November 18, 2011 at 7:06 am #

Wow so cute! what a great job! Congrats! Tutorial PLEASE!! Love it

32. Bebba December 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Yes, please! I would love to make these for my grandsons when they come to Bebba’s house! :)

• Jodi December 9, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

I’m working on it. The first draft of the directions are done and I’m working through digitizing the pattern into a PDF.

33. Amy Moore December 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

Yes please! I am almost finished my Pajama Eaters for my nephews and daughters and was wondering what wonderful thing I can make for them next Christmas. Sign me up! I’ll start early. :)

34. susan December 12, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

yes yes yes! i have to have this pattern so i can make wee people suitcases!! these are so adorable!!! kudos!!

35. Jo Randell December 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

I just bought the Pyjama Eater and cant wait to do them. I really want a tute for this one too, you did an awesome job, well done

36. karen January 4, 2012 at 10:39 am #

I want it!!!!

37. Angie January 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

I think you should do it like the Pajama eaters. Try it as a free PDF for a while and then sell it based on the response…

• Jodi January 5, 2012 at 7:14 am #

I think I will give it a free download period. I like to I release patterns for free initially in order to get some feedback and pattern testing before I started charging. Kind of like “Beta” versions of software.

38. Brenda fields January 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Would love to make for grandchildren

39. Amanda @RusticRemnants January 4, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

This is absolutely adorable! Love them!!

40. Kimberly Beets January 4, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

Bless you for taking the time to do it. I will keep checking as I too am very excited!!!!

41. aliche January 6, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Yes please do it!

Many kisses

42. Suzy Sholar :) January 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Super cute! I would love to see how you created them! I’ve been sewing a VERY long time, but am always learning new things.

43. jill January 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

How exciting…I can’t wait! I want to make one for each of my grandchildren for their trip to nana’s house =)

44. Bonny Gettig-Denison January 22, 2012 at 3:38 am #

Yes Please…. I love these

45. maria January 25, 2012 at 7:31 am #

Oh so lovely. Tutorial pleassseeee. :)

46. Handmade by Claire Bear February 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Yes, yes, yes, tutorial please! I’ve just chased the photos of these suitcases all over your blog and really, really want to make them.
    Claire from

47. Lydia Kefauver February 18, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I adore those bags – can think of a zillion uses for them! Let us know when you release the pattern please Jodi!

48. Jodi February 21, 2012 at 10:22 am #

and…. It’s now available to download!

49. Alyssa June 11, 2012 at 12:59 am #

YES! YES! YES! I NEEEEED to make these!!!!!!

50. SuSu September 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Love these cute little suitcases. You should make them and sell on If you do end up doing that, please send me your store info. I have no time to sew. Also would love some other colors and materials. Would this be easily doable in a fake leather material?

51. Yuniva February 20, 2013 at 9:47 am #

It’s a sweet suitcase.. I want to make it one for me too… :) like it …

52. Brittny August 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm #

How hard would this be to downsize to 9x8x3.5″ ???

53. Lawrence January 20, 2015 at 10:06 am #

This is my first real project! Have only hemmed pants etc. I have modified the design a little to make bag for Spirit fee free bag (16x14x12). I also made it a hard top and bottom using some spray adhesive to stick some plastic sheet to the canvas (cut the sheet same size as the stabilizer making a canvas-plastic-stabilzer sandwich). So far working out great. Have the bottom done and just about to join the top and bottom. I also skipped the top pocket. The only problem i have run into is due to the hard top is that there is no way to really flip the top accent fabric, so had to use some of the fabric used for piping to cover/hide the inside edges and looks good. Got that idea from my laptop bag. That is how they hid the inside edges.

54. Adri July 18, 2015 at 4:46 pm #

I’m going to buy your pattern soon to make one of these suitcases :) I love the idea :) I’ve shared your pattern page on my blog hope that’s ok :)

55. Lovella Lewis October 18, 2015 at 11:36 am #

i would love to have this pattern

1. Sunday Rest | Sew Fearless - October 16, 2011

[…] Duncan’s quilt top * designing a clutch wallet inspired by CottonPurr * digi-fying the suitcase pattern * making aprons for some recent brides * tailoring my jeans * clothes sewing for my boys […]

2. Taking the Leap… into Handmade Piping | Sew Fearless - December 13, 2011

[…] slowly plugging along with the suitcase pattern. The first draft of the directions is laid out and I am working on digitizing the paper pattern. As […]

3. Looking Back, Looking Forward: 2011 Recap and 2012 Goals | Sew Fearless - January 10, 2012

[…] #2: In 2012, I will put out more Sew Fearless patterns. Yes, yes, the mini suitcase. And maybe, the Mommy Poppins Bag, […]