12 Signs You Are Addicted to Sewing

1. You are either sewing, or planning out when you will sew next.

Photo by Miss Sews-it-all

2. You are seriously considering getting a sewing tattoo, or wish you were seriously considering getting a sewing tattoo.

3. You get grumpy if you haven’t sewn for a few days.

4. You are easily influenced by Big Fabric Store marketing techniques, especially when they include the words “clearance” or “50% off”, even more so if used together. Yes, dear, I did go fabric shopping two days ago. But the clearance bin is marked 50% off today. How could I NOT go?

5. After many years of telling your husband how offensive it would be to receive a household appliance as a gift, you put a new iron high on your Christmas wish list.

6. You have more boxes of fabric scraps than a normal person has boxes of fabric.

Photo by Gina Pina

7. You have a Pinterest board dedicated to sewing room decorating ideas.

8. You dislike beautiful weather, because it means you will take your kids outside to play instead of staying inside and sewing. One of these days, my machine is going to come outside with us.

9. You find fabric scraps or wads of string in your baby’s mouth more often than bits of paper or lint.

10. The ladies at the cutting counter know your name, and the names of all your children.

11. You spent considerable effort collecting a quirky group of sewing addiction enabling folks, even tracking them down on the interwebs if you have to. You find yourself referring to these #friendsthatliveinyourphone in daily conversation.

12. You have a sewing blog and you post to it three times in a week. 😛

So, tell me. Are you addicted?

, , , , ,

72 Responses to 12 Signs You Are Addicted to Sewing

1. Lipstick Jane November 10, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Amen sister!

I am totally addicted. In fact, I attend two different sewing meetups this week alone.

Love #2 & #11.

2. thezenofmaking November 10, 2011 at 11:02 am #

Hah, this list made my morning! I am very clearly an addict.

3. Barb-Harmony Art Mom November 10, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Would having three sewing machines and two kinds of irons qualify me for your list? How about stashes of fabric you will NEVER use but they are still taking up a whole shelf in your craft room? I have so many buttons that my daughter and I had to sort them by color and put each pile in a separate plastic bin. I bought my daughter a sewing machine just so we could sew together and call it “home economics” when she was in middle school. She still loves to sew and does amazing things and even makes money at it now so I guess in the long run it wasn’t too selfish of me to teach her to sew.

Loved reading your list and I could so identify with many of the points. :)

• Jodi November 10, 2011 at 11:20 am #

I think it does. :)

4. Shel Baker November 10, 2011 at 11:10 am #

ha ha ha I love comment 5!! Never would i think that i would actually want an Iron for Xmas (yes the conversation has come up) :) :)

• Jodi November 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

It’s a sad sad thing. :)

2 words: ironing starch.

5. Nikki November 10, 2011 at 11:11 am #

I resemble this post.

6. abby glassenberg November 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

I got an iron for my birthday last year. It was all I wanted. Even though I took many a feminist theory class in college.

7. Jamie November 10, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

That sewing tattoo is serious stuff! 😉

8. Lou November 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Ha! Great & Super List!
    Here’s an idea for your next list ~ Ways To ID The Family Of A Sewing Addict. The other day DH & I were headed to a store near ‘my’ JoAnns. But instead of heading to that store DH drove right to JoAnns without even thinking about it! I couldn’t quit laughing that he just naturally went there! After 42 years he knows………….

• Jodi November 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

*love*!!!

9. Anabel November 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

I still don’t have a tatoo…

10. Beadgirl November 10, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Hi, my name is Beadgirl and I’m a sewaholic. I have sewing projects on every floor of my house, so I never have to be without a needle.

• Jodi November 12, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Always a good policy.

11. Reenie November 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Haha. Love it!! I’m only 4 out of 12, but could get to a full 12 someday :)

• Jodi November 12, 2011 at 11:32 am #

It is a worthwhile goal to strive for (IMHO).

12. Erika Sews November 11, 2011 at 10:53 am #

Awesome! Yes, I am a sewing addict!

• Jodi November 12, 2011 at 11:32 am #

It’s why I like you so much, Erika!

13. Angie @ Many Little Blessings November 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

LOL – this totally cracked me up! So, are you going to get a sewing tatoo?

• Jodi November 12, 2011 at 11:32 am #

I think I am in the “Wish I was seriously considering” camp. I would have to get approval from the other person whose opinion about my body matters to me. :) I as I am in the childbearing phase (and weight fluctuating) phase of my life, I’m not sure that it would be wise. :) Nothing is grosser than a stretched or saggy tattoo.

14. Ruth November 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I would have ticked all of these boxes except I don’t have kids.I already have a sewing tattoo and am planning my next one as well! I’m a complete addict!!

• Jodi November 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

oooh that’s so fun! Someone should make a crafty tattoo pinterest board. :)

15. (Helena) (@microbionoar) November 12, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Oh yes i am a hopeless and very happy addict :)

16. Stevie November 15, 2011 at 3:45 am #

I’m well and truly addicted. I completely refer to everyone in the blogisphere like they live next door. my boyfriend raises his eyebrows and I have to explain they are a blogger.
    Fabric is also dangerous but I suppose its not a bad addiction to have!

17. mjb November 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

So very addicted. Thankfully, my husband is supportive, but I don’t think he truly understands. My sewing room is our “formal dining room” and I added 3 vintage machines to the collection this year.

• sandy german December 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I like that your formal dining room was put out of its misery. What vintage machines did you add? Are there pix? Tell me more. I’m living vicariously through others while my own sew-called life is on hold. Thanks, Sandy

18. Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy November 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Just dropping in to say I’ve been thinking of you and this post every time I’ve turned on my (crappy) iron since I first read it 10 days ago! (And I’ve been sewing, so I’ve been ironing A LOT.)

19. simplydove November 23, 2011 at 11:50 am #

This is so funny! I must be addicted given the fact that I have a Pinterest board, and I seriously CAN NOT STOP buying fabric! Lol!

PS – Found your blog through Sewaholic! Love it! :)

20. Norma December 2, 2011 at 9:04 am #

ha!ha! i have 7 sewing machines and 3 sergers,and cant stop buying fabric,do i qualify????

21. Sharon Darling December 2, 2011 at 9:04 am #

Is there a 12 Step program for this addiction? :-)

22. Connie December 2, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Does having 3 sewing machines and 1 embroirdery machine qualify me as addicted?

23. Irene S. December 2, 2011 at 9:10 am #

I am so totally addicted! I love this!

24. Becky M December 2, 2011 at 9:21 am #

Love this list! SO TRUE! And this summer I will totally be taking my sewing machine outside. Lucky for me, my neighbor behind me is also a sewing addict. She used to bring her machine out when her boys were young so I know I won’t get any funny looks! :)

25. marla December 2, 2011 at 9:39 am #

i’m addicted and don’t care who knows it!!! well, except for the kid part, because i don’t have kids yet. but i do have a pinterest board for what i’m going to sew once i do have kids!

26. Shirley Clark December 2, 2011 at 9:57 am #

All I can say is “Amen”! LOL

27. Jean Hensley December 2, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I love it. I am a member of a quilt guild and a bee. There are 10 ladies in our bee and we are more than just sewing/quilting buddies. They are my best friends and they are all just as passionate about quilting as I am. Yes, I do have lots of scraps and I do need more fabric, especially when it’s on sale. Thanks for this list. I love it!

28. JUDEE December 2, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Thanks for the list. I thought I was addicted, but I am not after all. Good to know.

29. Kelly Steve December 2, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

Very funny! I am addicted! I no longer have a baby to pull scraps out of their mouth, but my dog eats any batting that is left on the floor. If a drop a bobbin I have to run for it or he will eat that too. And those berina bobbins are too expensive to keep replacing! I am even thinking of getting “inked” sometime soon. can’t decide if I should wait until I’m 80 – another 30 years? Love that tattoo. Thanks for posting, I read your facebook feed all the time and appreciate your sense of humor. Have a great holiday!

30. Marilyn December 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

No 5 is definitely something that I told my husband the first 25 years of our marriage.

31. Mary McCrory Valaika December 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

I have photos of more than 900 quilts on my Pinterest board, and I want to make them all. That’s not counting the photos of the Designs for Quilting board, ha! Yes to all except the tatoo: but how about, how many sewing machines do you own? I have 4, thinking about getting a 5th. (Bernina, Avante 18″ long arm, the fall back workhorse Kenmore 33 years old, an Elna apple-green Supermatic because it’s cute as can be). Need a serger…… need a featherweight….. Or, how many pairs of scissors do you own? Seriously, ladies, gather them up and count them,you are going to be amazed. Betcha it’s at least 15, and that is the bare minimum. And irons, I have 5: the one I use, and presently 4 back up irons. My husband buys the irons for me at garage sales and auctions if they are clean and the cords are in good shape. He’s an antiques dealer so he lives at the auctions and sales: he calls me when he finds: patterns, thread, fabric, sewing machines, quilt racks, quilting gear, cutting mats, embroidery thread, unfinished tops, etc. God love the man.

32. Linda Towers December 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

I guess this means that I am hopelessly addicted. Fortunately, there is no known cure! Nix on the tattoo. Happily back to the sewing room I go.

33. Sandra December 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

I would say I’m addicted. I’m pretty sure my husband thinks I’m a sewing/fabric horder. I can relate to everyone of these comments.

34. Karen Nein December 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

I am soooo addicted to sewing. My sewing machine is in my living room where I can keep an eye on it!! My hubby refers to himself as a quilting widower.

35. Kathleen December 3, 2011 at 4:03 am #

#7! I love pictures of spotless sewing rooms. Mine will never make a Pinterest board! I read this cute little story online, you may enjoy (and have empathy with) it! http://popser.com/Cleaning.html

36. Bonnie December 3, 2011 at 9:48 am #

LOVE it! #8 made me spit out my coffee.

37. Claudine December 3, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Great post! I have actually met several of the friends who live in my phone. My friends who don’t sew think it’s really strange and daring that I go around meeting people on the Internet.

Point #1 describes the state of my mind at all times.

38. grapeskystudio December 3, 2011 at 10:51 am #

I have a good one you can add – I’m in aruba for a week -lying on the beach and am so antsy thinking of all the quilting I could be doing with a week off at home!!! How addicted it that!! Plus I brought english paper piecing with me to the beach just to keep the withdrawal down a bit.

39. grapeskystudio December 3, 2011 at 10:53 am #

Oh – also forgot – it was cyber monday while i’m here and I was shopping like crazy on-line on my laptop at the pool!

40. Nancy December 3, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I laughed out loud at #5. I was ironing a tablecloth today to get ready for my quilt group holiday party tonight and I was thinking about asking my husband for a steam generator iron!

41. Melissa, SoChick! December 3, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Sew addicted!!!! :-). Love this!

42. carla ball December 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm #

well it looks as though I am a sewing addict..wonder if there is a rehab for sewing addicts? better not be..I love sewing and have been since I was a little girl.

43. Jodi December 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

You, ladies, are really the best enablers ever!!!! :)

44. Rachell December 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

lol. I am sure addicted. I resemble most of these, including the children ones. I even have a Facebook photo album dedicated to my sewing and quilting.

45. Shirley G December 4, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Ha! I am NOT addicted. I have never started a blog….this leaves me more time to sew.

46. Carol Miller December 4, 2011 at 8:47 am #

I though a tattoo of an open pair of sissors on the side of your neck would be the greatest tat. It would show all those other wanna-be’s that you mean business. the only one the would be better is a rotary cutter one, that if you put a hoop earring in your ear it would look like the blade was actually moving!! Think about it girls, are you ready??!!

47. treadlemusic December 4, 2011 at 9:21 am #

How true!! And love that pincushion/scissor holder (shown on outdoor side table)!!

48. Elizabeth December 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

OMG, I think I may be addicted. Loved this post!

49. Pam December 6, 2011 at 10:22 am #

I have a tattoo, with a spool of thread and a needle in it. It was drawn from one of my mother’s old wooden spools.

50. Debra December 14, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Love this post! I Eat, Sleep, Dream,Think Sewing…not much time to blog, though. Busy looking for more machines to buy and organizing sewing projects for 2013. 2012 is already full…somehow derelict projects do infiltrate my schedule and I go off on a different project tangent.
    Sadly gave away one sewing machine…now have to get my arsenal back up to an even dozen. When my DH go shopping together, he just drops me off at the fabric store first so I can get it out of my system for the day…he says my eyes glaze over and I transcend into a different place even before we pull out of the driveway. He wonders how I make it there when I drive myself. Wish I could tolerate a sewing tattoo…in love with sewing needles so much more than tattoo needles…Yikes!

51. Clare Rowley January 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

LOL – how profoundly true~

52. Claire from HandmadebyClaireBear.com February 13, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Addiction? It’s possible, you tell me…

#1 and #3 definitely, especially at the moment,
    I hadn’t even thought of #2.
    #4 surely that’s just sensible
    #5 an iron isn’t a household appliance, it’s a craft tool, and is exempt from the ban on appliances for birthdays.
    #6 define “normal”
    #7 doesn’t everyone?
    no small children, so no to #8 and #9
    #10 I tend not to name and shame my children, but they do know all of my current sewing projects.
    #11 well, there is this monthly meeting I go to…
    #12 usually three times a week, sometimes more

At least it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.
    Claire
    read my blog at http:handmadebyclairebear.com

53. Claire from HandmadebyClaireBear.com February 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

I love this post, would you mind if I reproduced it on my blog? You’d get full credit, of course.

• Jodi February 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Claire, you are more than welcome to post a link to it on your blog, but please do not copy the blog post itself. Thank you!

54. Dakota March 5, 2012 at 2:02 am #

I giggled as I read this and said yes. yes. yes. yes. Sooo true.

55. Alonda February 18, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

Love this site, ran upon the tattoo, just what I been loking for. My aunt passed March 2012, she was a master quilter, & did just about every craft imaginable. She taught me to quilt years ago, I inturn have taught my grandaughters. Yes I do have 3 very expensive machines, 2 irons, a full closet with 9 shelves of fabric, 3 bins marked UFO, scrapes, blocks. My husband knows to walk lightly for fear of pins on floor, & never use or borrow anything from my sewing room.

56. Kathleen February 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

I really beginning to think I need help since last weekend I purchased my third featherweight singer sewing machine, I can pass up an estate sales that has sewing items listed, esp VTG patterns and I am always looking for new things to create…..

57. Kyla November 4, 2014 at 10:41 am #

Wow I am a match to this article!!! I am totally addicted – even saying “interwebs” matches! I don’t have a Pinterest board, but have spent a long time looking at other people’s pins for sewing room ideas, same thing right? What a great article, made my day!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. ARE YOU A SEWING ADDICT??? | Janome Life - December 2, 2011

[…] http://sewfearless.com/2011/11/10/12-signs-you-are-addicted-to-sewing/ Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. […]

2. An Ornament for the Sewing Addicted | Sew Fearless - December 8, 2011

[…] is clear that you all are as addicted as I am. So you will understand that it was only a matter of time before my habit spilled over into my […]

3. 12 Signs You Are Addicted to Sewing « HandmadebyClaireBear - February 14, 2012

[…] Reblogged from Sew Fearless: […]

4. Introducing ~ Jodi from Sew Fearless « Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog - June 5, 2012

[…] you exhibit any of the 12 Signs of a Sewing Addiction? Get support on the Sew Fearless fan page or ask for help on […]