Never compare the inside of your family…

This is just a little reminder to myself to…

Never compare the inside of your family to the outside of another

I wish I knew where that saying originated, because it really is the only way to keep sane, online or off.

I do not write about all the “insides” of my family on this blog and I can only offer glimpses into my real life. However, I will readily confirm that those glimpses will never include the following:

• How I serve up organic, whole grain, locally grown, well rounded meals to my family three times a day, and involve my children in the preparation of them. (Hey, kids! Guess what! We are having chicken nuggets for dinner again!)

• How serving my family by cleaning and doing laundry pushes me to grow in holiness. (Or how letting the house fall into utter chaos can teach me about humility.)
  • How to fashionably dress your children by shopping thrift stores, garage sales, and end-of-season clearance racks. (What? You grew again? Didn’t we just buy you 5 shirts from Walmart?)
  • Details on homeschooling my four and five year old and providing creative seasonally-appropriate educational activities for all my children. (OK, kiddos. Paper, crayons, scissors, glue stick. Have fun! But don’t bother mommy right now. She’s sewing until Duncan gets home from school.)

• Working in exercise and proper diet into a busy schedule. (Unless you count lugging around a 20+ pound-er as exercise and nursing as a weight-loss program.)
  • Restoring our almost 100 year old house faithful to the style of that period. (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)
    I've had 4 babies since we took this picture.

While I may be able to pull off some of these things some of the time, I am not able to do them regularly and with passion. I am fine with that though. There are plenty of other blogs out there that talk about such things, and plenty of women that do those things well. Well done, sisters, may I learn from your wisdom.

What is this blog about though?

SewFearless.com is about a reckless pursuit of the sewing craft. It is about not letting your fears talk you out of your dreams. It is a place to go for encouragement, information, and sewing camaraderie. It’s a place where “done” is better than “perfect”, and where saying “I didn’t try” is worse than “I failed”.

So, come as you are. You are welcome here.

Contact me!

Comments

1. says

In spanish we use the next sentence “Es mejor pedir perdón que pedir permiso”, translation always losts, but is like “It is better to say ” I’m sorry” than to ask for permission”
    breaking=Learning

2. says

Sometimes I get so tired of all the optimism & blog essays about how wonderful being a parent is. How their home is all that anyone could ever want & there are just enough hours in the day for everything they have planned. It’s nice & I know it’s all about creating an image and selling that image to readers. But sometimes you are just Hungry for a little honesty (and Oreos) ;)
    Thanks.

• says

It’s a hard balance to achieve because parenting is a little of both. Parenting is good and wonderful and it also sucks at times. There is just so much to it that it is hard to contain it all in a blog.

3. Katie says

Thanks so much for that reminder!! I love sewing blogs, but sometimes it’s easy to forget that it is just a glimpse, especially as I look around my (messy) house and my (mismatched because they dress themselves) kids and wonder why my life isn’t picture perfect. But my kids are happy, and when the rubber hits the road, so am I.

• says

You are very welcome. If it helps, please look again at the picture of Gladys. Her paints are 2 sizes to small and her socks don’t match. That is pretty typical around here. :)

4. says

What you are talking about is what I struggle a lot with in this blogging world… comparing myself to the seemingly “perfect” women out there. I had to scream so loudly today, just to be heard over my boys, that my throat hurts and I have lost my voice. How’s that for perfect. I try so hard to help women feel comfortable at my blog, and encouraged. I hope that happens. There are some blogs that I have had to stop reading just because they make me feel like crap in comparison to their amazing crafting, sewing, parenting abilities. Who wants to feel like crap while they sit in their cluttered house in their pajamas? Not me!
    You’re awesome, Ms. Jodi!