In a lot of ways this coat was like giving birth. It started out easy, it got kind of sucky at the end, but I felt heroic pushing through, and I am so pleased with the finished product I am quickly forgetting the pains of the past. And given time, I think I will want to go through it again.
A good chunk of the sucky was from the zipper. The zipper that I ripped out 4 times and sewed a finger once while putting in. A zipper that is still a bit wavy, but not so wavy that I mind it anymore.
Changes to the pattern:
- I cut out the pattern at size 14 in the bust/shoulders and graded out to a 16 in the waist. I was pretty impressed that I didn’t have to lengthen the sleeves. I am 5’10” and my arms usually stick awkwardly out of jackets.
- I did raise the elastic waist 2 inches because I have a high natural waist.
- I added some interfacing to the collar.
- I used Amy’s side seam pockets tutorial to add external pockets. I think some flapped welt pockets would have been super adorable but I didn’t want to change too much for the first go.
I still think this jacket is crazy cute and total worth sewing up even with the frustrations that I had.
- There are some typos in the inches measurements (the metric is correct). The English measurement is left out a couple of times(with the metric given), and the hem length given in the last step is wrong.
(7 cm is 2.75 inches not 2 inches.)[Tasia posted about the hem. It’s 2 5/8″.]
- I was really confused by the orphaned notches on the pattern, where the collar and placket connect to the jacket/jacket lining. I kept getting turned around about which way was up and what notches had something to match up to. Maybe I am just out of practice or too distracted, but it had me scratching my head.
What I figured out in the end is this:
On the placket, the short end with two notches is the top and the notched long edge attaches to the jacket front.
The top-most notch on the long edge lines up with the collar/jacket front seam and the other two are ignored. Those two notches are only used when attaching the placket to the lining.
For the collar, the single notched side is the top, and the bottom has notches for the center back and the center sleeve.
I never could figure out where the collar’s right-most bottom notch went to, maybe it lines up with the gathering markings?
Isn’t it convenient of the weather to forget that it is supposed to be winter so I don’t have to wait until spring to wear this jacket? Yes, it is.
past posts about this project: