Roads Quilt: Finished

In a rather anticlimactic moment, I handed over the finished “Roads” quilt to Duncan, washed and dried and ready for snuggling.

It feels strange to be done with it. I’ve been working on it for so long.

I don’t think Duncan quite believed me when I told him it was done and he could have it.

Not that it took him very long to get over the shock.

And you all were right. I don’t notice my mistakes at all. I’m just left feeling super proud of myself for having made it.

Even if it took me two years from idea to completion.

Making Plans

Sewing the Quilt Top

Quilting & Finishing

If you don’t mind, I’ll take a little break from quilting for a while.

Not too long of course, because there are another three kids already putting in their quilt orders.

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Roads Quilt: Finished

1. Christina Poynter May 7, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I love it! That picture of Duncan snuggling on the couch reminds me of when I got my first trumpet: some gifts make you so excited, you want to take them to bed. I’m so glad the quilt is more comfortable!

2. Elizabeth May 7, 2012 at 8:32 am #

I’m not a quilter but can appreciate the hugeness and awesomeness of your project. Well done!

• Jodi May 7, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I am “not a quilter” either. 😛 But getting out of my comfort zone is what this blogging journey is all about.

3. Maria J. May 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

It is lovely, Jodi. Congratulations on a job done, and done well. I’m sure it will be treasured– after all, it’s not just a quilt, it’s the roof of a secret cave, a map to treasure and a racetrack for matchbox cars. :) You are inspiring me to try some quilting myself.

4. Karen May 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Well done! You SHOULD be proud! It’s beautiful!

5. Abbey May 12, 2012 at 6:30 am #

It’s lovely, Jodi–nice work!

6. Claire from Handmade by Claire Bear May 12, 2012 at 6:49 am #

Love this quilt, I’m scared to try and make my own like this, but I kind of want to. Claire

• Jodi May 12, 2012 at 10:29 am #

You could try it on a smaller scale. :) A crib size perhaps, like this one?

I did this project precisely because it scared me, but I’m crazy like that.

7. jil June 7, 2012 at 10:24 am #

I love the road quilt and would love to make it for my grandson who is 10 months old. So i figure if I start now, he will have in 2 years. I found the pattern you used in Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns for twin size. I was wondering how much fabric you used. The pattern calls for 18 light fat quarters, 18 dark fat quarters and 4 yards of fabric for road. Thirty six fat quarters seems like way too much fabric. I see you used 10 colors plus gray. How much of the each did you use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Jodi June 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I think the high number has more to do with getting a good variety if prints. I bought a yard each and it was way too much.

8. Lois Hammond October 2, 2013 at 6:26 am #

I’m just about to begin the Roads Quilt for my grandson for Christmas. If it’s not finished by Christmas, I suppose it will become a birthday gift instead. I was looking for directions about cutting curved pieces and found your blog. Your quilt looks great! How inspirational to do that quilt with four young children. Thank you for sharing your experience and the pictures of the steps you took along the way.

9. michele. howland April 20, 2015 at 3:58 pm #

Your quilt is lovely. I found your site while searching for tips on cutting curved pieces. Did you ever find a tool? I’m tempted to trace the cutting line from a plastic template i made, and then use scissors! I don’t have confidence yet with a rotary cutter.

• Jodi May 2, 2015 at 9:18 am #

I just used scissors when i cut the pieces. Now that I’ve had practice with a rotary cutter, I think I would go that route.

If you are having trouble with a rotary cutter, have you checked to see if your blade is sharp? Dull blades make accuracy hard.

1. Introducing ~ Jodi from Sew Fearless « Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog - June 5, 2012

[…] me the most. Garment sewing? Check! Twin-sized Drunkards Path Quilt as a second quilting project? Check! Designing a tot-sized fabric suitcase, and releasing a sewing pattern to help so you can sew one […]

2. A “Rose Quilt” for Gianna - May 14, 2013

[…] have been promising Gianna a quilt since I finished Duncan’s. I had promised myself (and her) that I would purchase the fabric after I had released the Mommy […]

3. The Rose Quilt – 9 Patches - October 18, 2013

[…] I post so many pictures of my “in progress” projects on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter that I feel silly writing “Work In Progress” posts.  I like recording the process for future reference and reminiscing though, like I did with Duncan’s Roads Quilt. […]