DIY Pattern Weights – Ribbon Wrapped Washers

Ribbon Wrapped Washers for Pattern Weights -

The last time I stopped by the hardware store I made sure to pick up some washers to use as pattern weights. So far, I have have been making do using cans, cups, silverware, wooden play blocks, and anything else that I could easily get my hands on. You can buy pattern weights, but I loved having prettier weights at only the fraction of the cost.

Ribbon Wrapped Washers for Pattern Weights -

These washers set me back only 40 cents a piece and when I asked on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram how I could pretty them up, I was deluged with suggestions.

Ribbon Wrapped Washers for Pattern Weights -

I detest glue and painting and yarn… so ribbon won out for me.

Ribbon Wrapped Washers for Pattern Weights -

Have you used washers as pattern weights? Did you take the time to pretty them up? Which method would you choose?

Ribbon Wrapped Washers for Pattern Weights -

Note: This post contains affiliate links. see blog disclosure for more details.

, , , , ,

18 Responses to DIY Pattern Weights – Ribbon Wrapped Washers

1. Nikki January 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Those are super cute! I never thought about using washers as pattern weights, but now I need to go to the hardware store!

2. Jessi January 11, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Brilliant! Pinning these immediatly.

3. Charity January 11, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Those are cute! I really need some pattern weights… I’ve been using an odd assortment of things that are lying around when I need the weights. Maybe I’ll copy yours! =)

4. Karen January 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

Can I eat one? They look like candy :) So fun! I have 4 pattern weights, but that is not enough. I will have to make some of these too! Great post!

5. justthreadtwiddling January 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm #

I dipped my washers in the plastic coating that you use on tool handles and such. I raided hub’s shop for heavy washers and large nuts, washed them and let them air dry. I don’t remember the brand of coating (again from the shop). I need a few more. Thank you for reminding me!

6. pam January 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

I have never given pattern weights a try but these are too pretty to be ignored!! Or forgotten!! Thank you for the great idea!

7. nissaMade January 11, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

I just pinned a tutorial to make the scrapbook and dimensional glaze for a pendant version! Now I have another use for them if I do!

8. Missy January 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Love these, especially since they are so pretty and simple. I have an extreme sewing aunt whose birthday is coming up soon. Looks like a good thing to add to her gift basket!

9. Caitlin January 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Thanks for linking to my post about the yarn option for these! I am a ribbon hoarder, so I may have to make some more!

{walker whimsy}

10. Angie January 21, 2013 at 10:47 am #

I bought pattern weights when notions were 50% off and they still cost me 7.50. On top of that, they aren’t big enough and they don’t hold the pattern with the steadiness and steadfastness of pinning. I think I’ll be making some pattern weights out of washers soon, then I can use more than the 6 I’ve got and they will be bigger!

Thanks for the great idea, Jodi!

11. Kathleen July 5, 2013 at 8:32 am #

Several of us who are taking sewing classes at have been posting questions about where to find these weights. Can you share where you got them. Trips to Home Depot and Lowes have not been successful, so either we must go somewhere special or maybe we don’t know what to look for. Thanks much for any help!

• Jodi July 5, 2013 at 9:23 am #

These are from lowe’s near where they sell screws. These are 3/4″ washers. My lowe’s sold them individually, and for a a “box discount”.

• Kathleen July 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

12. Ed Saye June 24, 2015 at 1:40 am #

I’ve just completed my weights today and looking forward to trying them on my next shirt.

Like many others I’ve glued to large steel washers together with hot glue. Unfortunately the glue seems to lose its tackiness quickly (effect of being sandwiched between two cold pieces of metal?) so I then put them on the oven at 250 for just a couple of minutes. The glue remelted and they melded together better.

Once cool I spray painted them with Plasti-dip – a rubberizing paint. Now one side of my washer weights cling REALLY well to the pattern paper and no more annoying slipping! Overlapping a few of them on both the pattern edge and the fabric is a sure way to keep everything aligned. They grab onto the fabric even better than the paper.

A lot of work but they are a perfect, simple, utilitarian device that does the job perfectly.

1. Stretch Yourself: Working With Stretch Lace - Sew Fearless - January 16, 2013

[…] pattern weights instead of pins to hold the pattern pieces in place. The pins won’t do much good with all the […]

2. Shopping for Sewing Supplies at the Hardware Store | Sew Mama Sew | - May 9, 2014

[…] These inexpensive washers make the best pattern weights, which you can use to hold down your pattern instead of pinning. You can even make them pretty. […]

3. Spandex 101: The Basics | The Geeky Seamstress - November 3, 2014

[…] Fabric weights: Same reason here as the rotary and board. You can buy fabric weights if you want, but they’re pretty hefty in price. Washers are an inexpensive alternative, and you can make ‘em super cute. […]

4. 9 DIY Tutorials for Pattern Weights - April 18, 2015