Pretty Painted Pegboard for Sewing Organization [How-To]

Vinny is 4 weeks old today. I’ve had a couple of lovely brief sewing sessions this last week when Vinny’s nap schedule has cooperated. Sewing helps me feel like myself again.

Vinny

I realized that I never posted about the pegboard addition to my sewing room. If you follow me on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter, you might have caught glimpses of it. However, because I luuuurv it, I wanted to give it the posting it deserved.

Pretty Up Your Pegboard with Paint! - SewFearless.com

TA DA!!!! Seriously, can it get any better than a happy-colored pegboard full of the tools and gadgets that make you happy? I’ve wasted many a minute, just looking at this pegboard smiling to myself for the happiness of finally having it on the wall. Maybe I should hang more them around the house… hmmm….

Here’s how it was made:

Buy It. The pegboard comes in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets. Take advantage of the in-store cutting and cut it to size at the store. Mine is 3 foot by 4 foot. We mounted the leftover piece in our workshop.

Paint it. I decided to use spray paint to avoid drips and filling the holes in with paint. I wanted to match the Lilly Belle fabric as best I could and in my effort to find the perfect color, I went a little overboard. ahem.

Lilly Belle Spray Paint - SewFearless.com

I finally decided to go with the Krylon “Bright Idea” yellow. I’ll use the other paints for more projects around the room as I get to them.

cracks in paint

It took 2 layers of primer, and 3 cans of yellow spray paint. Looking close you can see cracks from spraying on the cheap primer too heavily. oh well. No one will notice.

pegboard in progress - sewfearles.com

Mount it. I bought a couple pegboard hook sets which come with spacers. The spacers hold the pegboard out from the wall for installing the hooks. I used heavy-weight plaster (drywall) anchors for the 9 mounting screws and didn’t worry about finding studs. You will definitely need a second pair of hands for this step.

use spacers to hold pegboard out from the wall - sewfearless.com

Fill it. Use the hooks from the set and fill up your pegboard with your tools.

sewing tools on a pegboard - SewFearless.com

Ahhh… Functional and Pretty.

Have a wonderful Holy Week/Passover/Easter!

Contact me!

Comments

1. says

I love my pegboard too! (But it’s not as lovely as yours, remaining the colour it came and without baskets.) What a little sweetie you have there.

2. says

Love this pegboard. I really want to add one to my sewing space, but I hate adding holes to the walls of our rental… Someday I’ll get one though. =)

3. Pkae says

I too had a fab peg board in my house (with big screws in the wall) and LOVED it but then had to move into an apt. I couldn’t do without my main storage so came up with an alternative way to use it.

I took a 4′x4′x1/2″ piece of plywood, and made use of the upper lip by laying a 4′x8″x1/2″ board on it, using thin but long screws down thru the board and top of 4′x4′. I added 2 brackets at the far ends for sturdiness and so I could use jars below the board (use short screws to attach lids of jars to bottom of the board, then you can screw the jars onto them…can see what you have and easy to access). Just below that I installed the pegboard with spacers.

I used 1/2 of a french cleat to the back of the 4′x4′ and the other half to the wall only in studded areas. Works great and the wall has only 3 thin screws in the wall…easy to patch when I have to move again.

Hope this makes sense; if not, I’d be happy to answer questions. :-)

4. Amanda says

Jodi,

Where did you get the thread holder? Or did you make it? I’ve been searching high and low for a pretty and practical way to store my thread and this looks amazing!

5. Sabrina Crawley says

Where did you get the baskets? I am going to use this idea in my nursery and I think baskets would really dress it up!

6. NB says

Where did you get your pegboard hook sets which come with spacers that come with plaster anchors? I am having a really hard time finding anchors for them for plaster walls.

Trackbacks