MORE Sewing Tools to Buy at Back To School Sales!

zipper pencil cases for the sewing room - Two years ago, I suggested 5 things to pick up for your sewing while shopping for school supplies. This year, I have two more things to add to that list.

1. Zipper Pencil Pouches

A month after the Back To School sale signs came down last year, I was cursing my shortsightedness in not buying zipper pouches for notion and finding storage. Because do you know how many zipper pouches stores sell during the rest of the year? And how much do they charge? The answer: Not Many and Way Too Much.

rivet and snap storage -

These pouches are working way better for my rivets and snap storage than my collection of ziplock baggies and torn bubble-wrap envelopes. The best part? These brightly colored beauties are 97 cents a piece. I bought ten, and I regret not buying 10 more…. or 20… I don’t know.

2. Elmer’s Glue

elmer's school glue in sewing -

I recently learned about the “glue basting” quilt seams. I am told that it is easy and more accurate than pins and I can’t wait to try it out on Gianna’s quilt. See Christy’s video tutorial for the details.

… and while you are already shopping, don’t forget the other 5 items from the original list….

3. Chalkboard Chalk

4. Tape

5. Binder Clips

6. FriXion Pens

7. Glue Sticks

zipper pouches -

Have you been school supply shopping? And did you pick some things up for yourself as well?

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to MORE Sewing Tools to Buy at Back To School Sales!

1. Tracy A. July 31, 2013 at 6:38 am #

As a knitter, I have taken to using cases similar to the pencil cases to house my circular knitting needles and other knitting do-dads. They are so convenient!

2. QuiltMouse July 31, 2013 at 9:26 am #

I’ve also picked up some hard plastic pencil cases. Those that are about 5×7-ish are good for a variety of storage – thread, scissors, needles, clips, etc, making a sewing kit. Then there are those that are about 3×7 (I’m guessing the size). They are PERFECT for storing/carrying rotary cutters safely! And there are smaller ones that are good for crochet needles. Love School Supplies!

3. Laura July 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

They sell frixion pens at back to school sales? I’ve never seen them before.

4. Kathy July 30, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

I kinda miss back to school supply shopping. Now that our school district buys all supplies, I feel a tad lost!! And, I buy in bulk now from Discount School supply (much cheaper) so I just totally miss out on the whole experience!

5. Anne July 30, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

The cheap supplies are the only good thing about back-to-school time!! I always load up on glue sticks. I might have to grab up some zipper pouches, though. My ziplocs just aren’t cutting it for organizing. I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow that links to your post:

• Jodi July 31, 2014 at 11:51 am #

thanks for sharing anne!

6. Joan July 31, 2014 at 10:49 am #

I use large pencil boxes to store different color threads. I label them on the end so that I can store them on shelves but still conveniently locate the color that I am seeking.

• Jodi July 31, 2014 at 11:49 am #

ooh I like that idea!

1. 7 sewing supplies to watch for at back-to-school sales | Sewing | - July 31, 2014

[…] from Sew Fearless shares her list of 7 sewing supplies to load up on while they’re cheap.  Go to Sew Fearless to see what they […]