Hexy Clock [An Ikea Hack Tutorial]

Hexy Clock - an ikea hack tutorial by SewFearless.com

The trouble with jumping on the hexy EPP bandwagon is that you start seeing hexagons everywhere – the tile on bathroom floors, road signs, honeycombs, and most recently… a picture of a clock in the new Ikea catalog.

smycke-wall-clock ikea

(Smycke Wall Clock, image from Ikea.com)

This clock! Oh man, it isn’t just a hexagon decorated wall clock. the hexagons are REMOVABLE, and can be re-arranged any way your little hexy-lovin’ heart desires. Of course, the colors were a little too “Lego” for my taste.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

… but it was nothing a little fabric couldn’t fix. Fabric makes everything better.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

In this case, fabric makes it way… way… better.

how to hack it

Materials for Smycke Wall Clock hack - sewfearless.com

• Smycke Wall Clock
  • Phoomph Fabric Bonding Sheets (2-3 sheets), or some other double-sided adhesive sheets (I used the Phoomph sheets because they are designed to stick to fabric and the thickness of the Phoomph masks the color of the hexagon plastic.)
  • fabric – (The fabric line used in this project is LillyBelle by Bari J.)
  • art knife and cutting mat

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

Step 1: Attach fabric to the loose hexagons

To attach fabric to a loose hexagon, cut out a square(ish) of Phoomph just a bit larger than the hexagon (Figure A). Remove the paper backing on one side to reveal the adhesive and stick it to the wrong side of the fabric (Figure B). Remove the second paper side and stick the hexagon smooth side onto the Phoomph (Figure C.) Use the art knife to trim off the extra Phoomph and fabric (Figure D and E). Repeat to cover all 28 loose hexagons.

cut out hexies - sewfearless.com

This method results in nice clean edges on each of the loose hexagons but it won’t work for the hexagons on the clock face.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

Step 2: Attach fabric hexagons to clock face

To cover the six hexagons on the clock face, cut out hexagons from the Phoomph using a loose hexagon as a template (Figure F above). Stick a Phoomph hexagon to the wrong side of the fabric, trim down the fabric to match the shape of the Phoomph, and then the fabriced Phoomph onto a hexagon on the clock face.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

Step 3: Attach all the pieces

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

Now all that remains is the fun task of arranging the fabric covered hexagons…

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

…and then attaching them to the clock face using the connectors from the Smycke clock kit.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

It’s almost as fun as Legos…

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

…but much prettier.

Hexy Clock - an Ikea "Smycke" Wall Clock Hack by SewFearless.com

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Hexy Clock [An Ikea Hack Tutorial]

1. Janelle September 9, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Hi Jodi, this is AWESOME!!!! I lOVE IT. My brain is scanning my fabric library in my head – no – need a new charm pack. I need to go to ikea!

• Jodi September 11, 2013 at 8:29 am #

Have fun! and share pics!

2. Roeshel September 9, 2013 at 10:56 am #

It’s beautiful, Jodi! Love it!

3. thezenofmaking September 9, 2013 at 11:29 am #

Love it!

• Jodi September 11, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Thank you and thank you for sharing on Makezine!

4. Jessica @ Dear Emmeline September 9, 2013 at 11:29 am #

great idea! love that fabric collection!

5. Karen September 9, 2013 at 12:17 pm #

You are a genius. The end.

6. Jess @ Quilty Habit September 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Omg. I think I’ve convinced my husband to buy this clock. Lol!

7. Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog September 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

It’s so pretty, Jodi! I think this is a fabric project that even I can handle! LOVE!

~Abby =)

8. Laura_H September 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

You can cover the clock face. on the front you see the hex nut? take that loose, there maybe a nut under each of the hands as well. It is just the same as you would find at a hobby store. easy to take apart and put back together. In fact you could buy the clockworks at the hobby store cheap, get cardboard(cereal boxes or the like); cut, cover and piece the same as paper piecing (except leave the cardboard in). And you would have the same clock but much cheaper. play to your hearts content.

9. Mel the Crafty Scientist September 18, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Love your blog and this project – so creative and fun and I’m a BIG fan of hexagons! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

10. Ann Johnson November 7, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

Jodi, I made a hexagon clock using your great idea and Connecting Threads fabric. You can see the result in my blog posting today on our staff Notions blog –
    Thank you so much for the inspiration!! Ann

11. Sydni November 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm #

LOVE LOVE this idea! Already ordered my clock- ready to make it cute! Did you use the soft or stiff phoomph? And you only needed 2-3 sheets? Thanks!

12. s&p emini futures January 14, 2014 at 6:09 am #

You can certainly see your expertise within the work you write.
    The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how
    they believe. At all times go after your heart.

13. adrien February 14, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

How did I miss this when you posted it?? Genius, simply genius and awesome.

1. Free Crafting Patterns: For the Home | married to a bmw - September 22, 2013

[…] Hexy Clock by Sew Fearless […]

2. Cute! Cute! Cute! - July 4, 2014

[…] them I am sorry. Anyway, that said, look at this cute hexie clock hack: It is from this website: SewFearless Ikea Hexie Clock Hack Ozziepuppy Reply With […]