This project was a long time coming. Back in July, when I was still gestating mega-baby and the pregnancy hormones glossed over my memories of the intense newborn period, I signed up for Baste + Gather’s Momiform MAKEover series.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA. seriously! What was I thinking? Fortunately, Lauren is super understanding and didn’t bite my head off when I bowed out of the series in August. If you haven’t seen the amazing posts from the other bloggers you should go check them out now. I’ll be waiting here until you get back.
back? okay. So, I had planned on making one or two nursing/postpartum friendly tops and a totally rad blazer. Even though I can’t be part of the series, I am still trying to get the projects finished just because I want to have them in my life! This top is one of them.
I adore this fabric. As does every other person that has ever seen it. Unicorns are irresistible, especially when they are super subtle, but still whimsical, like these.
My daughters begged me to make shirts for them too. I didn’t have enough fabric for that, and we compromised with these dresses instead.
There was a lot of nail-biting going into this top. I wasn’t even sure if it would all work out until I had it mostly constructed, and I will get to why that was in just a minute.
McCall’s Tunic Top
- Measurements: Upper Bust 40.4 in; Bust 44 in; Waist 47 in; Hips 51 in (For reference, I am 3.5 months postpartum.
- Pattern: McCall’s 7094 (View B)
- Fabric: Polyester Crepe from LowPriceFabric.com (affiliate link)
- For sizing, I used Size L through bust, but graded out to a XXL at the bottom hem.
- I used the View D hemline (curved front hem).
- I took up the armhole a half an inch.
This pattern uses the typical McCall’s directions for lining a yoke. I can’t stand that way of doing things. It calls for far too much hand sewing. There is a far better way of lining a bodice which can be mostly (or completely in this case) machine sewn. I’m fine going rogue for those directions, but construction the front placket directions was ridiculously finicky. It also leaves an exposed raw edge, and in a top where every other seam is beautifully enclosed, that is a tragedy.
Doesn’t it just make you cry? If it wasn’t for that, I could wear the top inside out and most people wouldn’t notice.
I have been on the hunt for the perfect drapey tunic pattern. I need it fitted through the shoulders, and loose through my middle, and no center seam at the front. (Center seams and buttoned blouses do not look good on me. it draws far too much to attention to my mom-tummy in my opinion). This was the first pattern I have found that fits those 3 criteria, but I am still not 100% satisfied. There has got to be a better way of making a placket like that. I feel like the whole collar/front placket could have been drafted better. I just wish I knew how to draft patterns.
Making the dresses for the girls was much more straight forward.
Jalie T-Shirt Dresses
- Size K (age 8; Height 50 in; Chest 26 in)
- Size H (age 4; Height 42 in; Chest 22 in)
- Pattern: Jalie 3245 (View E)
- Fabrics: Robert Kaufman Laguna Jersey & Polyester Crepe from LowPriceFabric.com (affiliate link)
- To convert the t-shirt pattern into a dress, I chopped it at the waist line and drafted an a-line gathered skirt. (The skirt’s waist measurement was double the shirt waist.)
- I gathered and attached the crepe skirt and attached elastic to the waist seam to help hold the skirt in place.
This project is a major win. Even with my construction problems, I have a crazy comfortable pretty shirt for myself, and then I scored major mom points with my daughters by sewing them dresses, especially with the goofball on the right.