Heather from Closet Case Patterns has a knack for putting out patterns that you didn’t even know you were missing from your life until you see them. The Kalle Shirtdress is everything. I loved the classy collar, the casual kimono sleeves, and the flirty length.
And, this was the deal maker, it is a dress that I can nurse in!
I can’t say enough good things about this pattern. It taught me the delight of using a well-drafted collar, and the secrets of sewing perfectly finished plackets. I can see more dress shirt sewing in my future. Possibly even for Andy?
I loved it so much, I made two of them – one in a bicycle print stretch poplin, and the other in a beautiful lightweight chambray.
These dresses hit all my “grow forward” requirements of sewing postpartum – they fit me now; I can nurse in them; they will continue to fit me as my body changes; and I was able to work on them in short sewing sessions until it was done.
- Pattern: Kalle Shirtdress by Closet Case Patterns
- Fabrics: Telio Morocco Blues Stretch Poplin Bike Print Blue, Kaufman Chambray Union AK Indigo
- Measurements: Height – 5’10”, High Bust – 42 inches, Bust– 44, Waist – 44 inches, Hips – 52 inches
- I traced of the pattern as a size 18 in shoulders/bust and graded to size 20 in hips.
- Then, I used the pivot-and-slide method to add another inch of width at hips on Front and Back pieces (for a total of 4 inches to finished garment measurement at hips)
- Finally, I increased the length 2 inches at the lengthen/shorten line.
An important note about this pattern:
Looking at the technical drawings provided with the pattern, I assumed the tunic length and dress length versions had the same hem line.This is not the case. The tunic length has an even more dramatic difference in front and back hem lengths than the dress, and the tunic’s side “slit” rises up higher from the hem too. Stylistically, I think these differences make a lot of sense and look great on the samples I’ve seen sewn up, but it tripped me up when I was working on what I hoped to be a wearable muslin of the tunic version. Just be sure you measure your pieces before deciding on your adjustments.