The Sidekick Suitcase Pattern is now available for download! This fully lined suitcase is made of sturdy canvas and designed with rigid sides that maintain shape in use. Finished, it measures 16 inches wide, 12 inches tall, and 5 inches deep. Just the right size for a pint-sized superhero trip to grandma’s, or for Wonderwoman’s night away.
After paying for the pattern via PayPal, you will receive a special link to instantly download the PDF file to your computer. It includes full-sized pattern pieces (excluding rectangles), as well as, 16 pages of full color instructions to take you through the project step by step.
Designed For the Fearless Intermediate Sewist
This pattern is designed for an adventurous, experienced sewist. Someone who has sewn a few tote bags and purses, but is bored with the same ol’ same old. This project uses zippers, curved seams, piping, and loads of layers. Not to worry though, there are 16 pages of directions and color photos to guide you along the way.
Ready to get started?
In addition to the pattern, you will need these fabrics, notions, and tools….
- 2/3 yard heavyweight canvas (60″ wide, “duck canvas”)
- 1 1/2 yards accent fabric for lining (44″ wide, Quilting cotton)
- 1 1/2 yards heavy duty sew-in stabilizer (20″ wide, Peltex #70)
- 1 1/4 yards woven iron-on interfacing (20″ wide, SF-101 Shape-flex)
- 17″ of 1/2″ elastic
- two 22″ zippers (matching accent fabric)
- 3 yards 5/32″ cording (or pre-made piping)
- thread to match canvas and accent
- medium and heavyweight sewing machine needles
- 2 pieces plastic canvas mesh (11″x18″)
- tapestry needle & scrap yarn
- zipper foot & piping foot
- rotary cutter & straight edge ruler
- glue stick
- wonder tape, or other sew-able double sided adhesive
- The Usual Sewing Implements (temporary marking pen, pins, scissors, rulers, hand-sewing needle, a sewing machine, etc)
Purchasing this pattern, and following the terms and conditions included within it, permits you to make Sidekick Suitcases for sale. Email me with any questions. sewfearless [at] gmail [dot] com
The following errors in the pattern have been found and corrected since the release of this pattern, and the date they were corrected. If you downloaded the file before that date and wish to receive the corrected file, send me an email with the PayPal receipt and I can reactivate your download link.
- Step 2: The dimensions of the plastic canvas should read 12″x18″ (instead of 11″x18″). [Corrected 3/9/2012]
- Step 3: The selvedges where mis-labeled on canvas cutting layout. [Corrected 3/9/2012]