The Pavia Backpack is a convertible backpack/shoulder bag pattern. It features two exposed zipper pockets on the outside, a top zipper closure, and two interior pockets. For further customization, the Pavia Backpack pattern comes in three sizes corresponding to the length of the top zipper. The 18 inch bag is large and roomy – good for a diaper bag or for carrying your craft projects. The 16 inch bag is for those who prefer a smaller, but still roomy bag. The 14 inch bag is a “mini” or “tween” size backpack.
The approximate finished bag sizes are as follows:
- 18 inch size: 15 inches high by 14 inches wide by 5 inches deep
(38 cm high by 35 1/2 cm wide by 12 3/4 cm deep)
- 16 inch size: 13 1/4 inches high by 12 1/2 inches wide by 4 1/2 inches deep
(33 1/2 cm high by 31 3/4 cm wide by 11 1/2 cm deep)
- 14 inch size: 11 1/2 inches high by 11 inches wide by 4 inches deep
(29 1/4 cm high by 28 cm wide by 10 cm deep)
The Pavia Backpack pattern is a digital PDF pattern. The 1.1 MB .zip file includes 2 .pdf files. The first PDF includes 16 pages of computer drawn illustrations and instructions, and 26 pages of full size pattern pieces for printing the pattern on your home printer. The second file is a “copy shop” file. It is a 2 page PDF sized for A0 paper (33.1 in by 46.8 in). The file is available for download immediately after payment is processed.
This bag was written for an intermediate sewist. It assumes basic knowledge of applying and choosing interfacing, sewing straight seams, topstitching, and working with heavy fabrics. Instructions include zipper installation, sewing inset pockets, and installing a bag bottom.
Fabric Requirements & Notions
- Outer bag fabric: 1 3/4 yards [1.6 meters] of 45 inch wide
[Optional: another 1 yard of 45 inch wide for contrast center panel]
home decor fabrics, non-stretch bottomweight wovens like
denim or corduroy, canvas
- Lining fabric: 1 yard [1 meter] of 45 inch wide
quilting cotton, or other medium weight fabric
- Woven fusible interfacing: e.g. Pellon® SF-101
- 3 1/4 yards [3 meters] of 20 inch for “18 inch” sized bag
- 3 yards [2 3/4 meters] for “16 inch” sized bag
- 2 3/4 yards [2 1/2 meters] for “14 inch” sized bag
- Stabilizer: 1/2 yard [46 cm] of 20 inch wide
e.g. Pellon® Peltex® 70
- 1 non-separating heavy-duty or purse zipper (18 inch, 16 inch, or 14 inch) for bag top
- 2 non-separating metal tooth zippers for outer pockets, 7 inches long
- 1 non-separating nylon tooth zipper for inner pocket, 7 inches long
- 4 D-rings, 1 1/2 inches [38 mm] inner diameter
- 2 slide adjusters, 1 inch [26 mm] inner width
- coordinating thread
- sewable double-sided adhesive tape (e.g. Wonder Tape™)
For recommended online retailers for purse hardware and zippers, check out the Pavia Backpack resource page.