In July of 2017, Erin, Monserrett, and Jodi hosted a month long celebration of motherhood and the challenges and joys it can bring. The event was named “Ease Into Motherhood”. This is what we envisioned:
“As both new and experienced mothers, we (Monserratt, Erin, and myself) have found that it can be hard to make time to sew. It can be hard to make time for ourselves. It can be hard to love ourselves. It can be hard to love all the changes that being a mother brings. We know that one way to find support is in community and we are a part of an amazing community of sewists. Let’s talk about sewing as a way of loving, finding and embracing our new self as we let go the self we used to be. We want to hear stories, struggles, and successes of other mothers who sew so we can derive strength from them. We want to get our community talking so we can support each other. All mothers who sew are welcome to participate. It doesn’t matter how or when you became a mother, what you sew or how long you’ve been sewing.” [quote from the event announcement]
This page serves as a summary of all the posts that were shared during that month. It is our hope that the conversation carries on either on blogs or instagram or other platforms long after the end of the official event. Please use the hashtag #easeintomotherhood to connect with the movement.
Ease Into Motherhood Week 1
The summaries for the first week of blog posts can be found on Erin’s blog here.
- Seamstress Erin – “Sewing My Way Back to Self-Love After Baby”
- Seamstress Erin – “Introducing the Ultraviolet Tee/A Love Letter To My Mom Belly”
- Sew Fearless – “Bouncing Back Is Overrated”
- Mexican Pink – “Friendships: Baby culottes”
- Cation Designs
- Sew Pomona – “Sewing A Beautiful Life”
- Swoodson Says – “How Sewing Fit In After Baby 2”
- Acorns to Oak Trees – “Ease Into Motherhood 1”
- Acorns to Oak Trees – “Ease Into Motherhood 2”
Ease Into Motherhood Week 2
I posted a summary of the second week of blog posts here.
- Another Sewing Scientist – “Get Yourself A Thing”
- Sewing Curves – “Baby vs Sewing”
- I Sew Therefore I Am – “And Mother wore Moneta”
- The Sew and Tell Project – “Easing into Motherhood: One Stitch at a Time”
- Sew Fearless – “Kalle Shirtdress (times two)”
Ease Into Motherhood Week 3
Summaries for the third week of blog posts can be found on Monserrett’s blog here.
- Paprika Patterns
- Mexican Pink – “Aim for Imperfection”
- So, Zo…
- If Only They Would Nap – “When Motherhood Isn’t What You Expected”
- Handmade Frenzy – “Motherhood & Sewing”
- Masustak Eguzkitan
- The Little Cave – “Motherhood and Sewing don’t always go together…”
Ease Into Motherhood Week 4
Summaries for the final week of blog posts can be found on Monserrett’s blog here.
- Always A Crafty Lady
- Diario De Naii
- Jo Sews – “Find Your Voice”
- Hilos y Más – “Bikini Nus”
- Seamstress Erin – “Workout Clothes for Boxing”
- David Oliver’s blog – “La belle Emilia”
- Clio & Phineas – “Yes, I Wear White”
- Mexican Pink – “Feeling good in my skin: Bras”
Are you an expecting mother?