The pattern instructions include tips on choosing appropriate fabrics and leather for this project!
Note: Some of the links below are affiliate links and are denoted with an asterisk (*). I only use affiliate links for products that I have personal experience with and can recommend. See my blog policy for more info.
This digital PDF pattern was written for an intermediate sewer. It assumes basic knowledge of sewing seams, topstitching, applying and using interfacing, and installing a magnetic snap. This project is an excellent introduction in how to sew leather.
- leather: 2 1/2 foot by 2 foot square
mid-weight leather (less than 3 oz in weight)
- outer bag fabric: 3/4 yards of 54 inch wide or 1 1/4 yards of 42 inch wide
canvas, home decor weight, wool felt (jacket weight)
- pocket fabric and pocket lining fabric: 1/3 yards each of 42 inch wide
- bag interlining/interfacing: 1 1/2 yards of 20 inch wide, or 1 1/4 yards of 42 inch wide
heavy-weight canvas, woven fusible (e.g. Pellon SF-101), or fleece
- pocket interfacing: 1/2 yard of 20 inch wide
woven fusible (e.g. Pellon SF-101)
- Bag Body Lining fabric: 1 1/4 yards of 42 inch wide
- nylon zipper (16 inches or longer)
- sewing machine needles
- leather needle
- mid-weight needle for sewing inner bag
- topstitching needle or mid- to heavy-weight needle for sewing outer bag
- magnetic snap (1/2 – 3/4 inch diameter)
- all-purpose thread: 100% polyester
- top stitching thread: 100% polyester, coordinating with leather
- vinyl tubing*: ¼ inch diameter, 21 inches long
- sewable double-sided adhesive tape (e.g. Wonder Tape*)
Supplies and Tools
- binder clips or Wonder Clips*
See this review post for a comparison between the two!
- roller foot (for sewing leather) or teflon / non-stick foot
- walking foot (recommended)
- art knife and/or rotary cutter and mat for cutting leather
- wax tailors chalk or Frixion® pen*
- pins, scissors, sewing machine, etc.