Apparently, this “little blog” of mine has gotten to the point where I am being contacted by various companies asking for product reviews and things. This is very flattering for me, but it also puts me in a tricky spot. I don’t want to be “that blog”. You know the one – The Sell Out Blog. The blog that I drop because they have become a marketing tool and I can’t trust their advice anymore. icky icky. Also, it stresses me out to read advice from “The Really Big Bloggers” about how you need to get fair compensation for working with companies, because when you don’t you are hurting other bloggers. Then there is some legal dispute over how to run a “sweepstakes”. sigh. It is one big murky mess.
So, I am embarking on this very first full-fledged review post (plus giveaway) with some trepidation. I would value your feedback (send me an email!) about how you feel about reviews and giveaways popping up on this blog. I will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS disclose my relationships with companies. (It’s the law after all.) If this doesn’t work out and you hate it, you won’t see this kind of thing again. deal?
Disclosure: I was given a set of Rubbermaid Bento storage boxes for review. I was not compensated for the content of this review or for hosting this giveaway. All thoughts, writing and opinion in the post are my own. But hey, they gave me free bins. So, I guess you should take this with grain of salt.
Last month, I talked about making time to sew and the importance of gathering your supplies together in preparation for those sacred sewing moments. In that post, I showed you a peak at a lovely bin holding all of the supplies for a Mommy’s Poppins bag.
The bin it is living in is a Rubbermaid Bento storage box. Rubbermaid’s Bento boxes are sturdy, stackable fabric covered bins with internal dividers. (See this video for my info about how the bins work.) Rubbermaid sent me a set of boxes to play with and I’ve been spending the last month toting my sewing supplies around in them. Here are my thoughts…
- I LOVE the “Internal Flex Dividers”. They are so clever the way they pop out and hide away when not in use. The bin-within-the-bin idea is PERFECT for holding together all the bits and pieces of a project. I literally squeeeeled when I saw how they worked. (Pardon me, is my organization-geekery showing?)
- It was the first thing I noticed when I pulled these bins out of the shipping box. These things are sturdy-sturdy. Gladys is frequently found sitting, standing, or climbing on these boxes. Not a problem, they can take it.
- The “Large” size is a perfect fit for Ikea Expedit shelves. The gold standard for bin size, in my opinion.
- The dividers in the Extra Large bins are a perfect fit for commercial sewing pattern envelopes. Win!
- Holy Freakin’ Cow!!!!!! These boxes are PRICEY! From $16 – $60 a box, and the lids (called “toppers”) are another $20 to $30. I guess it is because they are such good quality? If you have the money for your storage, good for you, but I just bought a house and I spend all my extra cash on fabric. However, the boxes are being sold at Joann Fabrics, and some clever couponing will help bring that price down significantly. (Please tell me you know about the Joann coupons, if you don’t ask me about them.)
What do you think? Would you like a set of very own, for free? Rubbermaid is giving a set of boxes away to one of you fabulous readers!
Set of Rubbermaid Bento Boxes Giveaway!!!!
- The Prize: One person will win a set of all sizes of Bento Boxes and Toppers in “Paprika” ( a $215.93 retail value)
- The prize is being rewarded by Rubbermaid.
- Open to all U.S. and Canada residents, ages 18 and older. One entry per household. Void where prohibited.
- Entry is open until 10/6/2012 at 12:01 AM EST.
- TO ENTER, comment on this post. Then use the Rafflecopter widget below to tell me you did!
- Duplicate or ineligible entries will be deleted.
- No purchase is necessary to win.
- If Rafflecopter or my website poops out on us, I’m sorry. I can’t redo the giveaway because of time constraints by Rubbermaid.
- A winner will be chosen by random with Rafflecopter and announced on the blog October 8th, 2012. The winner will be contacted by the information provided within Rafflecopter, and the winner must reply back before October 10th, 2012 or the prize will be forfeited and a second winner drawn.
Best of luck!