I only have one New Year’s Resolution for 2010. I want to make one piece of clothing for myself per month. This month I copied my favorite undershirt. It is a maternity cami and it is just the right length and looseness. It doesn’t roll up and leave me exposed and layers nicely under other shirts. For an added bonus, the straps of this version are made of Fold Over Elastic. It allows for “easy access” for nursing without my tummy hanging out. That might be TMI. 🙂
- Pattern drafting
- Fold Over Elastic – It took some practice, but I feel like I have a pretty good feel for it now.
- Working with knits
- Blind hem – I did a stretch blind-hem on the bottom just because I could. It was much simpler than I thought.
Construction notes for myself
- Draft pattern – adding 1/2″ seam allowances on all sides
- Over-lock side seams.
- Stay-stitch along seam long on upper edge.
- Baste and gather front neckline.
- Trim off seam allowance close to stay-stitching.
- Apply 1/2″ FOE along back upper edge using zig-zag stitch. Then apply to front edge with an extra 16″ of elastic hanging off each end for straps.
- Hem bottom.
- Remove basting along bottom (if used) and stay stitching along back top edge (this allows for move give on the top).
- Sew down straps in back and trim off excess elastic. (My straps were 12 inches each.)